Important Town Bylaws for Dog Owners
Chapter 81, Section 2 – Dogs required to be leashed; exceptions
A. No owner or keeper of a dog shall permit such dog, whether licensed or unlicensed, to run at large within the Town of Great Barrington, including Housatonic. No person shall permit a dog owned or kept by him beyond the confines of the property of the owner or keeper unless the dog is physically restrained by a leash, which shall not exceed six feet in length.
B. No person shall permit a dog owned or kept by him to run freely within the confines of the property of the owner or keeper unless leashed so as to restrain the dog in such manner that the dog will not go beyond the property of the owner or keeper, or unless the dog is securely confined to the premises of the owner or keeper by fencing or appropriate barriers.
Cleaning Up After Dogs
Chapter 81, Section 10 – Enforcement; violations and penalties
C. Any owner or keeper who:
(2) Is the owner/keeper of any animal who shall be found by an Animal Control Officer to have defecated on private property other than that of its owner/keeper or on a public
sidewalk or public lands.
Chapter 81, Section 11 – Alternate procedure under MGL c. 140. § 173 A
A. Notwithstanding any provisions of the General Laws to the contrary, any Animal Control Officer who takes cognizance of a violation of:
(1) This bylaw; or
(2) Failure to license animals pursuant to MGL Chapter 140 and this by-law; or
(3) Failure to obtain multiple pet permit or commercial kennel license; or
(4) Failure to vaccinate against rabies pursuant to MGL Chapter 140 Section 145 B; or
(5) Intentionally allowing a dog to cause a nuisance by barking, howling or otherwise may issue or mail a Notice of Complaint of Violation of Municipal Animal Control bylaw to the owner or keeper of such animal.
B. Any owner/keeper found in violation of the above-mentioned procedure shall be subject to a fine of not more than $50 per offense. Where applicable, each day a violation exists shall constitute a separate offense.
For a complete set of the Town’s Animal Control Bylaws, click here.