Examples of ways Great Barrington demonstrates Community Policing and Crime Reduction
- The GBPD has policies addressing discrimination and impartial policing.
- Officers are encouraged to visit with the public during their shifts by stopping into schools, businesses, neighborhoods, parks and more to get to know the community.
- The GBPD participates in programs like Special Olympics events, Truck Day, Kops & Kids, Community Police Academy and more to be visible and connected with the community to help reduce crime and the fear of crime.
- Officers are encouraged to issue verbal and written warnings for some traffic violations instead of issuing a citation.
- The GBPD added an additional patrol sector in an effort to increase community engagement.
- The GBPD participates in regional response trainings.
- The GBPD utilizes emailand a telephone ‘tip’ line to allow community members to report issues to the Police Department.
- A member of the GBPD participates in the Berkshire Health Coalition which focusses on health of youth.