Examples of ways Great Barrington demonstrates Training and Education
- The GBPD follows and exceeds Peace Officer Standards and Training requirements for hiring officers and requirements for peace officers through the MPTC.
- The GBPD follows and exceeds MPTC requirements for the required number of training hours for every officer.
- The GBPD sends officers to leadership trainings as they progress through their careers.
- The GBPD currently employs 7 officers that have been certified as CIT officers after completing the full 40-hour course in conjunction with the One Mind Campaign
- The GBPD provides trainings covering diversity in the community.
- The GBPD enforces policies on discrimination, impartial policing, internal affairs/citizen complaints, conduct unbecoming of an officer and bias motivated crimes.
- The GBPD encourages and incentivizes higher education for law enforcement officers by giving a stipend.
- The GBPD encourages higher education by reimbursing class and book fees for classes in the criminal justice field.
- The GBPD utilizes a Field Officer Training Program.